The advantages of LED lighting over conventional lighting are
- Longer life - The life of a LED lamp is 100000 hours(11 years) as compared to 5000 hours for ordinary bulbs.
- Cheaper - While LED lamps are costlier than filament lamps, their long life more than compensates for the high cost.
- Reduced Power Consumption - The power required for LED lamps is lesser than that required for conventional lighting.
- LED lamps have high efficiency and produce less heat.
- LEDs are available in a wide choice of colors
- The LED bulbs can be made in a wide variety of shapes and designs
- LED bulbs are Eco-friendly as they do not contain mercury unlike conventional filament lamps.
LEDs are today connected in the form of clusters containing a number of LED lamps. Handheld torches are also being produced with LED bulbs.
LEDs have also found application in industry, in traffic signals and in hospitals. LEDs also help avoid downtime due to bulb failure which can be expensive and interruptive in applications such as traffic signals, in street lighting, etc.
With improved manufacturing techniques, the price of LEDs is expected to continue to drop further.